Can You Do Your Own Divorce in Washington state?

Complete divorce forms. The divorce process begins with the divorce form or petition for divorce. File divorce papers with the court. Serve your spouse with the divorce papers. Sign and file final divorce documents.

How do I change my last name in Washington state?

You must:Fill out a Petition for Change of Name. It must state all of these: Your current legal name and the name you want. File a Petition in the district court of the county where you live. You must show photo ID when you file. Schedule a hearing date. The clerk will schedule a date for you to appear before a judge.

How much does it cost to change your last name in Washington state?

Effective July 1, 2019 the King County District Court fee for name changes is $201.50 which includes the $83 filing fee, a $10 administrative cost, a $103.50 recording cost per named individual and $5 for one certified copy. Additional certified copies are $5 per copy.

Can you keep your last name and add my husband's?

As we discussed in length above, hyphenation will allow you to keep your maiden name while still adding your spouse's. Many spouses choose hyphenation because they feel it's the best of both worlds because they don't lose their name and they're able to take their spouses.

Can I hyphenate my child's last name without father's consent?

If you want to change your child's surname, there are some circumstances when a name change petition will be approved without the consent of both parents: In a situation where parental rights of one parent has been legally terminated, the other parent may change the child's last name without permission.

Can a child take a step parents last name?

Only if the court grants the name change, then it would be "legal." If your question is "is it ILLEGAL for a court to give a child his/her step-parents last name?" The answer is NO, it is not "illegal." It probably won't happen, but it...

How does a father lose parental responsibility?

Parental responsibility can only be terminated by the Court and this usually only happens if a child is adopted or the Court discharges an Order that resulted in parental responsibility being acquired.

How hard is it to get full custody as a father?

For a father, custody can be difficult to win, even though the courts do not discriminate against dads. Whether you are a father going for full custody or joint custody, you should be prepared for a difficult child custody battle, especially if the child's other parent is also filing for custody.

How do I prove parental abandonment?

Failure to maintain a normal parental relationship with the child without just cause for a period of six months constitutes prima facie evidence of abandonment.” In this case, the mother alleged the father had failed to complete a required parenting class, failed to pay child support or required surgery costs, and that ...

What is considered an absent parent?

An absent parent is often viewed as someone who has appeared to abandon their child. They may not live with the child or make an effort to see or bond with their child for several months or years. This can often leave the other parent to raise the child on their own.

Can parental rights be terminated if a parent is incarcerated?

Generally, if the parent is in a jail or prison for short period such as six months, he or she will not lose parental rights as a given. It is usually through other actions such as another person challenging the rights or by a lack of contact or attempts at caregiving that can lead to the termination of these rights.

Can I file for sole custody if father is in jail?

Yes, you may seek sole legal and physical custody while the father is in jail. A judge will likely order monitored visitation when the father has been released from jail if he requests it.

What rights does a parent have while incarcerated?

A prisoner may lose many many different civil rights while serving time for a crime they've committed, but visitation and parental rights aren't included on the list. There are currently no existing laws requiring a non-incarcerated parent to bring their child to a jail for visitation with their other parent.